2013 AKS Research Grant
About AKS Research Grant
The AKS(Academy of Korean Studies) Research Grant is one of our non-degree programs which invites and supports international students for six months, providing them with a momentum to grow to be a next generation of promising scholars in Korean studies and to play a leading role in the field abroad. Applications for the AKS Research Grant for the period from 1 September 2013 to 28 February 2014 are now being sought. Those who aspire to widen and deepen their knowledge of Korea by conducting research at our graduate school in one of the most dynamic countries in the world are very welcome to apply.
A. Monthly allowance of KRW900,000 is provided.
B. A round trip airfare at actual expense is provided.
C. Grant Period : 6 months (1 September 2013 ~ 28 February 2014)
(The period can be extended for selected recipients within the AKS' budget).
D. Access to the AKS facilities including the library and Jangseogak Archives is given.
E. On-campus dormitory is available at the rate of KRW477,400 per 6 months, double occupancy.
F. Korean language courses are offered free of charge.
G. The Certificate of Award of the AKS Research Grant is issued.
Nationality- Both the applicant and his/her parents are foreign nationals.
- The applicant, either a foreign national or a Korean national who obtained permanent residency in a foreign country or who resides overseas, has completed education outside of Korea which is compatible with Korea's elementary, middle, high school and college education.
Applicants must reside in a foreign country outside of Korea at the time of application.
Educational BackgroundApplicants must meet one of the following conditions :
- Applicants are currently enrolled in a master�s or doctoral degree program in the field of Korean studies at an overseas university.
- Applicants completed coursework and are in the status of ABD (All But Dissertation) in a master's or doctoral degree program in the field of Korean studies at an overseas university.
- Applicants were conferred a master's degree in the field of Korean studies at an overseas university.
Application Deadline : 6:00PM 31st May 2013
A. Application Form
On the application form, applicants must designate one of the AKS professors whose specialty is most relevant to their research topic as their academic advisor, referring to the list of the AKS' faculty members at https://www.aks.ac.kr/aks/sub/sub_grad_faculty.aspx
B. Certificate of Graduation and official transcripts for a bachelor's degree
C. Certificate of Enrollment (or Coursework Completion or Graduation) and official transcripts for a master's degree
D. Certificate of Enrollment (or Coursework Completion) and official transcripts for a doctoral degree (if applicable)
E. Research Plan
- It must be at least 3 pages long on A4- or letter-sized paper.
F. Personal Statement
- It must be at least 2 pages long on A4- or letter-sized paper.
G. A Letter of Recommendation
- The recommender must be either an applicant's academic advisor or dean of the department in his/her undergraduate/graduate school.
- After completing the letter, the recommender must seal the envelope and sign across the envelope seal.
- The letter of recommendation should be sent by post either directly from the recommender to the Director of Academic and Student Affairs at GSKS, or being included in the application package.
H. Official transcripts for the Korean language proficiency test (TOPIK) or English language proficiency test (TOEFL, IELTS or TEPS) (if applicable)
I. A copy of the first two pages of the applicant's passport
- All the above documents must be written in Korean or in English.
- If documents are written in a language other than Korean or English, they must be translated into and then notarized either in Korean or in English.
Grant Recipients' Obligations
A. Grant recipients must either enroll in at least one full-time course at the AKS or attend one-to-one private lessons (i.e. individual tutorials) with their academic advisor whom they chose on their application form.
B. At the end of their grant period, grant recipients must submit a report summarizing their research findings and an evaluation report written by their academic advisor before they leave the country.
C. Grant recipients must stay in Korea and concentrate on their research during the grant period. However, exceptions to this rule can be made when grant recipients temporarily leave the country in order to attend an academic conference with a prior approval of the Dean of the Graduate School of Korean Studies.
D. When publishing a thesis or a book with research findings of the grant period, grant recipients must state that it is an outcome of the research conducted with support of the Graduate School of Korean Studies in the Academy of Korean Studies.
E. During the grant period, grant recipients are not allowed to be engaged in other occupations for financial purposes.
F. During the grant period, grant recipients are not permitted to register at another educational institutions in Korea.
G. When they finish their research, grant recipients are allowed to leave the AKS from one week before the final date of the research period. If they leave earlier than that, the amount of monthly allowance in the final month is calculated based on the number of days for which they stay in Korea.
H. As for items not stipulated here, grant recipients must abide by the rules and regulations of the AKS and decisions of the Graduate School Committee.
Tel : +82-31-709-8111(Ext 214), +82-31-708-5310
Fax : +82-31-709-9946
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org