Erasmus Mundus Master on Embedded Computing Systems
This Erasmus Mundus masters course on Embedded Computing Systems gives you the opportunity to study at institutions leading in this field and to experience European culture in two different countries.
The European Master's Course in Embedded Computing Systems (EMECS) is designed to educate Bachelor graduates from Electrical & Computer Engineering and Computer Science as well as graduates from related disciplines to become experts in the field of Embedded Computing Systems. The participating institutions are:
University of Kaiserslautern (TUK), Kaiserslautern, Germany
Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Trondheim, Norway
University of Southampton (UoS), Southampton, United Kingdom
EMECS is a two-years Master's course (120 ECTS credits) that is pursued at two out of the three participating institutions. Students will spend one year at each of the selected universities and will receive a joint degree from the respective institutions. The language of instruction is English. Students participating in this program will be trained in three major areas:
- Hardware Architectures of Embedded Systems
- System-on-Chip Design
- System Software
These areas constitute the "Core Programme" of EMECS and will be taught during the first year of study at each institution. Completion of the core programme (45 ECTS credits) will ensure the mobility of the students after the first year of study.
Scholarships should be considered as "full scholarships" covering all necessary costs of the student during his/her study period in Europe
- The applicant must hold at least a B.Sc. degree (or equivalent) in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or a related programme. At the time of application preliminary transcripts are accepted.
- The grade average of the previous study should prove high qualification of the applicant. This will normally be the case for a grade average of ‘B’ or better in terms of the ECTS grading scale.
- Applicants need to prove that they have sufficient fluency in English. A TOEFL test with at least a score of 600 paper-based/250 computer-based/95 internet-based or an Academic IELTS score of at least 6.5 overall and with 6 in writing is required. The TOEFL code number of the University of Kaiserslautern is 7967.
- The proof of English proficiency is required even when the language of instruction for the previous education was English. However, for nationals of countries listed under this link the proof of language proficiency is waived.
Graduate Record Examination
- Taking the GRE test is recommended but not mandatory. The GRE code number of the University of Kaiserslautern is 7143.
- The applicant must show that he/she is well motivated for the Embedded Computing Systems programme by writing a short letter of motivation.
- The application must be supported by two letters of recommendation.
In order to apply for EMECS you need to create an account on the online application platform. On the application platform you can also apply for an Erasmus Mundus Scholarship. No separate scholarship application is needed.