International Climate Protection Fellowships
For young climate experts from developing countries interested in conducting a project in Germany and developing long-term collaborations
The fellowship allows future leaders to spend a year in Germany working on a research-based project of their own choice in the field of climate protection. Fellows are free to choose their own collaborative partners. Submit an application if you come from a non-European transition or developing country and are involved with issues relating to the scientific, engineering, legal, economic or social aspects of climate change.
During a three-week introductory phase, you will have the opportunity to make contact with other climate protection fellows and visit companies, research institutions and cultural events in Germany. An intensive German-language course before you begin the fellowship will smooth your way into everyday life in Germany whilst a continuing education event lasting several days in the course of the fellowship will enable you to acquire not only practical knowledge of climate protection but also expertise in management.
Subject to final agreement to provide funding, 20 fellowships can be granted.
- EUniversity degree (Bachelor�s or equivalent) completed with outstanding results less than 12 years prior to the start of the fellowship
- Clearly visible leadership potential demonstrated by experience in a leadership position, or appropriate references
- Professional experience in a leadership role in the field of climate protection (at least 48 months at the time of application), or a further academic or professional qualification
- Very good knowledge of English and/or German
- Fellowship amount according to qualifications between 2,150 EUR and 2,750 EUR per month
- Two-month intensive language course in Germany
- Lump sum for travel expenses
- Allowances for visits by family members lasting at least three months
- Allowance of 800 EUR per month for the host in Germany for projects in the natural and engineering sciences, and 500 EUR per month for projects in the humanities and social sciences
Applications must be completed online. The completed application form including all the necessary additional documentation must be submitted by the closing date for applications.
Immediately after submitting the documents, the applicant will receive a confirmation.
It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all the necessary documents have been submitted. Incomplete applications may be excluded from the selection procedure.
The proposed host in Germany should send his/her confidential statement directly to the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation by the closing date at the latest.
After reviewing the applications, an independent selection committee will decide, probably by the beginning of July 2014, which candidates will be invited to participate in a selection meeting in Germany lasting several days. This selection meeting will take place from 16 to 19 September 2014 and applicants will be given the opportunity to outline their project to the selection committee and the other applicants as well as to attend individual interviews held by the selection committee. At the end of the meeting the selection results will be announced.
Submit an application by 15 March 2014. The fellowship will begin on 1 March 2015.