CEU Summer University
Summer University (SUN), a very special postgraduate study-abroad program within Central European University (CEU).
CEU is a graduate-level research-intensive university specializing in the social sciences, humanities, public policy, and management. Located in Budapest, CEU is accredited in both the United States and Hungary. Its mission is to promote academic excellence, state-of-the-art research, and civic engagement in order to contribute to the development of open societies in Central and Eastern Europe, the former Soviet Union, and other emerging democracies worldwide.
While CEU's summer program is relatively young, it has evolved dynamically, emerging over the past 16 years as one of the most important programs for young social-science and humanities scholars in the region and beyond. SUN is highly international, with students from over 90 countries and faculty members from over 30 countries. With students from more than 100 countries overall, CEU offers a rare university environment in which no single nationality predominates and both academic and social activities involve a richly dense cross-section of nationalities.
SUN is a meeting place for academics and professionals eager to look beyond their disciplinary boundaries. Students are exposed to an immense diversity of countries, disciplines, and perspectives, and have the opportunity to discuss issues openly in an atmosphere of tolerance and intellectual curiosity.
While most of our participants are PhD students, we attract many others as well. These include postdoctoral fellows, junior researchers and other junior faculty; plus representatives of national and international organizations and ministries.
• The minimum entry requirement is to hold a BA (or equivalent) degree.
• In general, the only minimum qualification you need is a college or university degree. However, some courses may specify additional requirements in their course description. Make sure you check the relevant course page on eligibility before you submit your application.
• You need to have a strong command of English to be able to participate actively in discussions, give presentations, etc.
Financial aid is available in the following categories:
1. Full SUN Scholarship
Financial aid: tuition fee waived; free accommodation in a double room and a full or partial travel grant.
Participant's contribution: health insurance and living expenses.
The Full SUN Scholarship includes a full or partial travel grant which can be applied for on a competitive basis and will be available in a limited number. Visa costs and short domestic trips are not reimbursed.
2. Partial SUN Scholarship
Financial aid: tuition fee waived and free accommodation in a double room
Participant's contribution: health insurance, travel and living expenses
Financial aid: tuition fee waived
Participant's contribution: health insurance, travel, accommodation and living expenses
Below is the list of the documents you need to prepare or arrange for submission:
- Completed online SUN Application Form
- Letter of recommendation
- A full curriculum vitae or resume, including a list of publications, if any Statement of Purpose
- Course-specific further requirements as listed on the relevant course web sites (research proposal, writing sample, academic records if requested, etc.)
- A copy of an article in English published recently (if available)
- A copy of an English language certificate (if available)
General deadlineFebruary 14, 2014 - for the majority of the courses
Course-specific deadlinesFebruary 28, 2014
Advocacy, Activism and the Internet
Constitution-building in Africa
March 9, 2014
LMI - SME’s and Social Enterprises - Maximizing Success with Integrity
LMI - Integrity Education: Classroom, Campus and Community-Based Integrity Building
LMI - Integrity Building and Closing the Loop: How can we mainstream integrity and feedback in development?
March 14, 2014
Mental Disability Law